An incredibly rare Uniform to the 20th Hussars, The only Hussar Regiment to wear the Primrose Yellow plume to the Busby, The Busby bag is Crimson as is the central silk train on the Regimental Crossbelt.
In the aftermath of the Indian Mutiny (1857-59), the East India Company questioned the loyalty of Indians in its cavalry units. As a result, it recruited several units made up entirely of non-Indian soldiers.
One of these was the 2nd Bengal European Light Cavalry. Formed in 1858, it transferred to the British Army only three years later while still in India.
On its transfer, it was converted into a hussar regiment and took over the numeral 20, which was vacant at the time, in the cavalry order of precedence. Five unconnected light dragoon regiments with that numeral had been raised and disbanded between 1706 and 1818. In 1890, the 20th Hussars were officially recognised as their successor and adopted their battle honours.
The regiment remained in India until 1872, serving on both the Umbeyla (1863) and Black Mountain (1868) expeditions. It then mostly served in England from 1872 to 1895, broken only by a period in Ireland from 1879 to 1884.
During the 1880s, it sent four troops to the Sudan, along with a detachment to the Egyptian Frontier Force. It fought at Tofrek and Ginnis in 1885, and at Gemeizeh in 1888 during the Mahdist War.
The next overseas posting for the regiment as a whole only came in 1895, when it returned to India. From there, it moved to the Boer War (1899-1902) in 1901, taking part in the anti-guerrilla campaign. Garrison duties in Egypt, England and Ireland followed.
The regiment disbanded in 1921. It was re-formed as a single squadron the following year to amalgamate with the 14th King's Hussars, becoming the 14th/20th Hussars.